Westport Local Cultural Council Grant Program (LCC)
The Westport Cultural Council is part of a unique grassroots network of state funded local cultural councils offering grants to support local creative, cultural, historic, and interpretive science programs that address local needs and interests. Grant awards range in size as the Council seeks to serve as many strong programs as possible.
The Westport Cultural Council will give priority to grant requests that:
- Directly involve the arts, interpretive sciences or humanities.
- Take place on the South Coast, or promote local creative talent or cultural resources.
- Have a measurable impact on the Westport community, by reaching a significant number of Westport residents, whether immediately, or over time.
- Engage, and help bring together, Westport's varied communities, or introduce Westport residents to new or different cultural perspectives.
- Do not duplicate existing programs or funding.
All applications that intend to work with the Westport Community Schools or another cultural organization must include a letter of support from the participating partner. The WCC will only accept online applications. WCC offers information sessions prior to the grant application deadlines. Check the local papers for dates and times.
Westport Cultural Council grant applications are available to support tickets, operating support, school field trips, afterschool programs and artist residencies, concerts, dance, music as well as history and interpretive science projects that engage the residents of Westport. Individuals, non-profit organizations, public schools and library and religious groups are eligible to apply for funding that serves the general public.
The WCC meets the first Wednesday of every month at the Town Hall Annex at 6:00pm.
Helen E. Ellis, a Westport resident for over 50 years, was a respected artist, educator and community activist. After her death, the proceeds from her estate were placed in trust and funds are annually awarded to the Westport Cultural Council through an application process below. The Council provides an application and guidelines for all programs that meet requirements on a reimbursement basis.