About the Commission
The Commission was established at the May 2009 Town Meeting. It is one of the 160 Commissions on Disability in Massachusetts, established under Mass General Law c. 40, § 8J and 22G.
The main purpose of the Westport Commission on Disability is to carry out programs and activities that will help bring about full and equal participation for people of all abilities in all aspects of life in the Town of Westport. Please be aware that some disabling conditions may not be apparent to bystanders.
- Encourage public awareness of disability issues.
- Identify concerns of Westport residents with disabilities.
- Work in cooperation with the departments and agencies of the Town of Westport to bring about maximum participation of people with disabilities.
- Work with businesses, agencies, and organizations to improve accessibility for people with disabilities.
- Provide information, referral, guidance, and advice to individuals, businesses, organizations, and public agencies in all matters pertaining to disability.
- Advocate for the rights of Westport residents with disabilities.