Westport Veterans Information

The Westport Veterans' Services Officer provides eligible veterans and their families, who are residents of Westport, with financial and medical assistance and is an advocate for Westport’s veterans and their dependents. In addition, the VSO coordinates all military-related holiday events with Westport Veterans' organizations.

Memorial Day | Veterans Day | Flag Day | Graves Care | Housing | Jobs | Real Estate Tax Exemption

Memorial Day: Westport holds an annual Memorial Day parade and ceremony to honor and remember the men and women who gave their lives in service to the United States of America. In addition, the VSO works with local Boy and Girl Scout Troops and Westport Veterans Organizations to ensure that each deceased veteran interred in Westport has a flag placed on their gravesite for Memorial Day. Memorial Day is the last Monday in May.

Veterans Day: Westport holds an annual Veterans Day ceremony to honor all those who served or are serving in the United States Armed Forces. Veterans Day is November 11.

Flag Day: Westport holds an annual Ceremony for Disposal of Unserviceable Flags per the approved method of disposal by burning. This event is held on a Saturday in June around Flag Day. Flag Day is June14.

Unserviceable flags can be dropped off at any of these locations throughout Westport:

Graves Care: The Westport VSO also serves as the Veterans’ Graves Officer to ensure that Westport is in compliance with Massachusetts General Laws and the policies regarding proper interment and care of veterans’ graves. Any damage to veteran's gravesites or markers can be reported to the VSO.

Housing: The Town of Wesport currently offers public housing at Greenwood Terrace on Route 6. Visit the Housing office site for additional information or send an email.

Jobs: Visit the Employment Opportunities site for current job listings for the Town of Westport.

PDF download logo Real Estate Tax Exemption: There are a number of exemptions available to certain disabled veterans or their survivors. Contact the Assessor’s office or download the application.