The main purpose of the Westport Commission on Disability is to carry out programs and activities that will help bring about full and equal participation for people of all abilities in all aspects of life in the Town of Westport. Click here to learn more about how our commission was formed and our priorities.
Recent Advocacy Projects
- Advocated with CMS for the extended coverage of powered chairs and assistive mobility devices.
- Contacted local State Representatives to advocate for the inclusion of Accessible & Affordable Housing in the annual budget prepared by the MA House Ways & Means Committee.
- Advised the Westport Library on options for making their new amphitheater more handicap accessible.
- Collaborated with the Wesport Land Conservation Trust to develop a handicap accessible trail at Westport Woods on Adamsville Road at the site of the former St. Vincent dePaul.
- Met with the Massachusetts Disabled Persons Protection Commission to learn about the resources available for disabled adults who are the victim of abuse.
- Worked with town departments to recommend the installation of geogrids to stabilize and improve the handicapped parking area at the Knubble Beach.
- Purchased mobility mats for use at the North Beach (Baby Beach), and collaborated with the Highway Department to install the mats and place two handicapped parking spots closer to the beach access rather than at the road.
Our commission continues to work on behalf of all Westport residents to make our town accessible for all. If you have any questions or ideas about how we can have a positive impact somewhere in town, please contact us.