Thank you for your interest in becoming a Poll Worker with the Town of Westport!
There is nothing more important to democracy than free and fair elections. By becoming a poll worker, you will help ensure that all registered voters are able to exercise their right to vote freely, without obstruction or influence. As an Election Day poll worker, you will work with a team, and each team member will have their own important role. Together, you will help the Town of Westport have a successful and efficient Election Day. Election Day poll workers receive annual training to prepare them for their assignment on Election Day and an hourly wage.
There are three important roles at every polling location:
The Warden is the Chief Election Officer at the polling place with responsibility for supervising and monitoring the work of the other election officers. The Warden maintains order, prevents interference with the voting process, insures that all required materials are available, assists voters, and oversees the accurate completion of all election forms.
The Clerk keeps a record of all facts relating to the election proceedings and notes any unusual happenings during the conduct of the election. Prepares all required documents and forms for the Precinct. The Clerk assumes the responsibilities of the Warden in the Warden's absence.
Poll workers perform election duties under the direction of the Warden/Clerk, including but not limited to assisting with preparing the voting location for opening; hanging signs in accordance with legal requirements; counting ballots; checking in voters; acting as the ballot box attendant; providing assistance to voters with disabilities; assisting in removing signage; packing up election materials; and helping check counts at the end of the day.
Minimum Requirements for all roles:
- Be registered to vote in Massachusetts
- Be available to work Election Day from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm or later. Split shifts MAY be available and hours vary for local elections
- Dedication, efficiency, patience and friendliness are assets
- Excellent customer service, organizational, and interpersonal skills desired
- Be an effective communicator
- Not be a candidate for any office to be voted on at the polling place on Election Day
- Must provide own transportation to the assigned polling location on Election Day
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time